Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Hooray for trash!

Did I really just say that?

OK, here's the deal. We recycle in this house. Everything possible. When a child dares throw a piece of paper away in the kitchen trash, I usually only have to say, "Just what do you think you're doing?" To which the paper scrap offender replies, "oh...right...put it in the recycling bag..."

I am grateful that our trash pickup includes recycling service. Yet, it has pained me over the past several years (more like 5 or 6) to ONLY be able to recycle plastic labeled as a "1" or a "2." That leaves out numbers 3 through 6! And a lot of plastic comes in and out of this house labeled 5, in particular (you know, dairy containers with the snap-on lids? Yep, those are 5's).

And so, I actually pumped my fist in the air and said, "Yesssssss!" when, after perusing the official "Waste Line" newsletter (don't you love trash puns?), I saw that our service now includes recycling for plastics 3 and 5. Meaning, all those pesky blister cards (hello, Christmas morning!) and the many dairy/food containers that come our way. Hallelujah. It's about time.

I know larger cities have more extensive recycling programs. At least, here in Omaha, they're heading in the right direction!

No comments: