Wednesday, January 21, 2009

History.

I love the fact that just about everyone I know watched the inauguration.

I love that my kids' school made sure that every child in every grade watched as well.

I loved Aretha (and her hat), and equally loved the Simple Gifts theme. One of my absolute favorites.

I did not love the poem so much.

I love the historical grandness of it all.

I love that 1.5 million people were there to witness it. And not one person was arrested in that vast crowd.

I love that people who didn't even vote for him were able to find joy and hope in the collective American spirit of the day.

My hope is that those who could not find goodness, or joy, or hope will at least be able to show respect. For the man, for the office, for the nation.

And, I love this:

We remain a young nation, but in the words of scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things. The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble idea, passed on from generation to generation: the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free, and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness.

-President Obama, 1-20-09

No comments: