Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

I was greeted at 7:15 this morning with a chipper "Happy Earth Day, Mom!" from Lauren before she was even out of bed. Later in the morning I was in her classroom teaching Junior Achievement and all of her fellow first-graders made sure to point out to me that "today is Earth Day!" (Side note...the lesson was about needs and wants, and when I told them we would be discussing two important words, someone said "I know - Earth and Day!" Um, no, but good try!)

So, many of you know that I recycle as much as possible and I make my own all-purpose cleaner. This is hardly a green-living household but we are making small efforts where we can. I have been researching compost bins and finally made a purchase today. I got the Envirocycle, which is a tumbler bin that also collects "compost tea" that one can use as a liquid fertilizer. It should arrive next week, so I will report more on the process then!
And finally, my kids have been anticipating Disney's "Earth" movie that came out today. I decided to take them to see it after school. It was great! It covered a large range of topics, from migration to global warming to season changes and even the simple life and death of animals. The cinematography was simply stunning and Reed, Lauren and I really enjoyed it. Grace, however, was more interested in sipping her lemonade and forcing me to take her to the potty. Twice. If you decide to go, it's probably best for the kindergarten and up crowd!

Tell me, did you do anything in honor of Earth Day today?

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I would love to do something like this. I'll be anxious to hear how this one works out for you.

Little Brown Sparrow said...

I actually didn't do anything for Earth Day- nothing out of the ordinary anyway. I mean I made some art using reclaimed materials, had a vegetarian lunch, put off washing the dishes till their was a full sink (good excuse), made plans to invade That Sunny Bit (also known as where "we're putting the veggie patch") and left the heater off. That's pretty ordinary for me though- every day is Earth Day here!

Your little compost bin looks interesting, a great solution for people with not much space. We have quite a large backyard so our compost is a fairly dangerous looking beast in the corner,who is about to be relieved of it's insides.