Saturday, June 6, 2009

Clutter busting.

When we bought our current house, we were impressed by the large amount of storage - a plethora of walk-in closets, a wall of cupboards in the laundry room, and two storage rooms. Sounds great, right? It has been, for the most part, until now when we contemplate selling this and moving to a new house. Because, friends, all of that storage space means that lots has been stored in there. A lot! Some stuff even made a lateral move from our old house, from one dark corner to a dark cupboard, never to be seen again. And now we have started the process of clearing the clutter, trying to make everything appear spacious and new-buyer-worthy.
Some things go straight to the trash, a lot of stuff goes to Goodwill, and a few things have been going to a "Will-we-or-won't-we-keep-it" halfway house set up in our bedroom (the closets are getting cleaned, but that room is a mess!). As I go through the mountains of stuff, I am occasionally sad - like when I found the sweet bug pj's that Reed wore when he was one. Or the tiny gray wool clogs the girls wore when they were two. Yet other things, like the random tapes (yes, I said tapes, not CD's) I had in junior high were easy to toss. (Question - why do I even still have those?) I'm not generally a pack rat or overly sentimental about our things; I guess having lots of storage just means you're never really forced to decide what is truly important to keep, and what things have served their purpose and need to move on to a new home!

p.s. That photo above? That's stuff to go to Goodwill, from Lauren and Grace's closet, plus the laundry room cupboards.

3 comments:

Little Brown Sparrow said...

Ah clean-outs! I love getting rid of stuff, it makes me feel so clean, organised and freed up. Being a thrifting queen living with another we often have an 'op shop box' in the hallway (thrifts are called op shops in Oz) that's getting things put in it. I went through my studio and de-stashed last week, I have enough excess stuff for someone to stock a whole other studio!

Robyn said...

We got a new car so I'd like for both vehicles to live in the garage. This means cleaning out ALL the stuff that collected in the 2nd stall. Sean started while I was out of town yesterday, but now I have to go through today. While it's great to clean out, I understand and feel your pain!

Jill said...

"Clutter busting" our house a little over a year ago- so we could sell it & move was so great! We had one huge garage sale! It has also been a fun challenge to go through the first year in our new house--keeping the clutter down. So far, there is still space in the closets & empty cupboards. We are also having another garage sale this coming weekend! :)

Keep up the good work!