Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A new chapter.


My baby went off to kindergarten today. I must admit, I have actually been quite excited to get to this point, particularly last year when the afternoons got long and my mothering fuse was short. So many times Grace and I would sit on the front steps, waiting for the bus to go by, and I would tell her, "What am I going to do next year when YOU are on that bus, too?"

Well, today was that day, and I was sitting out front all alone.

I do harbor a piece of myself that has been increasingly sad over the last few days. Not so much for Grace to actually be in kindergarten, but moreso for myself and acknowledging the passage of time. To think that my days with babies are over. There will be no more nap times, or preschool programs, or playgroups. I am done with babies and toddlers and preschoolers and yes, a part of me is mourning the idea of saying goodbye to that time in my life.

Yet, with this sense of sadness comes excitement at the idea of change. What will happen in our lives during this next chapter? What lies just over the horizon? How will we grow, and change as a family? How will God help us lead our family through the new waters before us?

So much to think about.

1 comment:

Sherilyn said...

Adorable picture. Your post accurately reflects the struggle I think we all have with our kids getting older. Can't wait to hear about all your new ventures!!