Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Halloween costumes (part 1).


The first of 3 costumes this year is done, thank you very much! With two days to spare before the class Halloween parties! I have to say I am pleased this year that all of my kids decided (well, more like agreed) to have at least a portion of their costume handmade. I am a big fan of pulling together a costume with what you have, not so much by going out and buying a prepackaged get-up. Don't get me wrong...we've had plenty of those (Thomas the Train, Mr. Incredible, Minnie Mouse, Superman, The Cat in the Hat, I could go on...). The prepackaged ones were actually great when they were littler - easy to put on, the effect was instantaneous, and it was, well, easy. Not everything can be easy with 3 kids all just 2 years apart.

Anyway, this year we came up with some good ideas I think. Lauren is going to be a zookeeper, which fits well with her love of animals and her current second-grade ambition to become a zookeeper someday. The costume was SIMPLE! I spent a grand total of $2.50 at Goodwill for a khaki shirt (which is corduroy, luckily she didn't care) and a greenish-khaki bucket hat. She has a laminated name tag from a zoo camp she did this summer, and plans to carry her favorite stuffed tiger, "Cubby."

The final piece of the costume? She requested patches for the shirt. Hmmm. I considered going to the zoo and looking in the gift shop, but at the last minute had a brainstorm to see if I could make patches myself. Here's what I did:

Got online and found images of several logos for our local zoo. I then copied them over to a blank document in Publisher, and included a khaki-colored box behind the image (my first attempt didn't include the box, but then the "patches" ended up being too white). I printed the images onto "inkjet fabric sheets" (purchased at Joann's awhile ago, so I had these on hand), then followed the instructions to make the ink colorfast. Next I sewed each image onto a piece of fusible interfacing, then trimmed and ironed onto the shirt. The final touch - a tight zigzag stitch around all edges to firmly attach to the shirt. I think they turned out well, and I know my little zookeeper will love the extra detail!


The great thing about these patches is that you could adapt this to a lot of different costumes. Flags or NASA images for an astronaut comes to mind, or anything that needs a logo to look more "official." If the inkjet fabric is too complicated, you could easily print it out on paper and run it through a sticker machine to adhere to the costume...you could even sew paper or cardstock onto the costume. Just remember that if you use a logo, it truly has to be for personal use - not for anything you'd consider reselling!

OK, one down, two to go...

2 comments:

Nicole Crawford said...

Adorable costume Jenny and so creative. I'm on pins and needles waiting to see the next costume!

Robyn said...

Very cute!!! What a great idea.

Also wanted you to know I gave you a Kreativ Blogger award today on my blog.