Saturday, August 27, 2011

More retro love.

Ah, the wonders of the internet...

More trips down memory lane with the help of Google images!

My first grade lunch box:

A random toy I loved, yet another example of the rarest of occasions when my mom relented and purchased something for me spur-of-the-moment; and they are selling these again! I am totally getting one:


Another favorite item, I just loved this little set.

Of course Cabbage Patch Kids were the ultimate toy.

And no, my parents wouldn't dream of standing in line or paying an exorbitant amount to secure one for me just because I wanted one so badly. Instead, they gave me $1 and let me purchase a raffle ticket for one being sold at our neighborhood bazaar. Guess who won? ME! I cried literal tears of joy! Mine looks just like this only his jumpsuit is orange. (Yes I still have him, are you kidding me?) The name on his birth certificate was "Amery Delmar." Blech. I changed it to "Ricky," after this guy:

(I would like to point out that I must have had a good eye, because 25 years later he is still hot.)

Of course my husband still has all of these toys (our kids have all played with them and we will hang onto them indefinitely). My brother had a lot of those too, and we had these...I think I liked them not only for the characters but also because they had different color groupings (am I hardwired for the rainbow thing?)

My 90 year-old grandma still calls me "her little Strawberry Shortcake" when she saw this toy of mine and declared it was very cute:

And, I used to pretend that these guys lived in my backyard. The recent movie creeps me out...I like the 80's version better.

So what were your favorites? I know I have probably only just scratched the surface and could probably come up with pages and pages of retro loves. Though as fun as it is to search for these things, there is a sad little part of me that cringes when I typically have to type the word "vintage" before my search item. Hmph.

1 comment:

Nicole Crawford said...

some early favorites...
jenny doll http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=390346411875
talking baby beans http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=110689881063
and eventually barbie
but my very favorite - the bionic woman http://www.flickr.com/photos/toys4ever/5482330226/in/photostream/

favorite book series...trixie belden!!